This is a hands-on, high level (level 3) DBA engineer working on enterprise wide legacy applications. Ideally, I am looking for one focused on Oracle DBA and the other focused on MS SQL Server DBA. The organization runs both Oracle 12 (moving to 18 soon) and MS SQL Server along with 7 other flavors of databases (see JD for the other flavors).
Most of the day to day DBA operations is based in India - these two hires will be responsible for providing technical direction/recommendations for the client's environment consisting of 1000 databases / 1 petabyte of data.
The Principal Engineer, Database is part of the Database Services Group within Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS). The Principal Engineer functions as a Senior Level Engineer working in a large and complex multiple RDMS environment. He/She is a contributor to the overall day-to-day database operations and will be part of a team that shares responsibility for technical support activities. Operating as a member of this team, the Principal Engineer should be capable of independent thinking but still have a willingness to follow predefined EIS policies in order to satisfy our customers. The scope of data management operations includes the activities such as database administration, enterprise application integration, and data warehousing support on-prem & Cloud. More specific tasks which the candidate will be responsible for are scripting, design & analysis, installation, configuration, monitoring, support, troubleshooting and tuning of both Cloud and on-prem databases. The primary database platform is Oracle & SQL Server running on Linux and Windows platforms respectively. Other environment includes EDB, MySQL, MongoDB and MarkLogic running on Linux and Windows servers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive hands-on experience and knowledge (minimum 7 years) in Oracle and at least two other relational database management system such as Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Teradata or DB2. Oracle development and support experience is required with strong proficiency in the following areas:
- Oracle installation, configuration, performance tuning, client/server connectivity, query optimization
- Database backup, restore and disaster recovery procedures.
- Data modeling and reverse engineering using tool such as ERwin
- Writing complex stored procedures and triggers.
- Clustering and load balancing with database servers.
- Database concurrency solutions.
- Fair knowledge of database services on Cloud (AWS & Azure) and hands-on experience of data migration from on-prem environment to Cloud.
- Large data replication and synchronization solutions such as snapshot, merge and transactional.
- Enterprise application integration technologies with webMethods development and support experience highly preferred.
- Fair to good knowledge of IT services delivery and support methodology such as ITIL.
- Professional level knowledge of:
- General IT security best practices.
- Web and application server technologies.
- Distributed web application frameworks such as J2EE and/or .NET.
- Server/storage platforms and hardware.
- Data communications and network standards.
- Demonstrated results and proven track record in:
- Participating in large-scale application support efforts.
- Fostering strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem solving and decision making skills.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in software development practices are highly desirable.
- BS or BA degree in computer science, information technology, business administration or related technology field.