This is an Accounting Department position reporting directing to the Partner in Charge of Operations and Finance, COO/CFO.
This position is responsible for month-end closing of the Firm’s financial statements and review of all of the transactions and activities of the Firm’s Accounting Department. The Controller is responsible for all areas related to financial reporting and for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure financial statements are accurate and delivered in a timely fashion.
This position supervises Billing Department, General Accounting Department, Payroll, and Benefits Administration in four locations. The Controller is responsible for equitable work allocation. The position prioritizes to meet tight deadlines. The Controller oversees various accounting activities, including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end partner K-1 preparation, support of budget and forecast activities, and partner related transactions (compensation, benefits, capital accounts, ownership percentages).
The position interacts with all levels of firm personnel and thus requires strong written and verbal communication skills.
All final reports and financial statement packages are provided to the CFO/CAO in paper and electronic format for review based upon the month-end closing schedule. This position seeks guidance and/or information from the CFO/CAO and provides back-up support for the entire Accounting Department.
Number of People Managed 19 Reporting Relationship
This position reports directly to the Firm’s COO/CFO.
Exempt Responsibilities Analysis Report
- Review Cash Position Report
- Review Profit Analysis reports
- Review Profit and Loss reports
- Review Partners’ Quick Sheets and T Summaries
- Review Reserve Worksheets and Reserve Analyses
- Review all supplemental reports for financial package
- Prepare PowerPoint Presentation for LLP Financial Statements – Firm Presentation and Partner presentation
- Special projects related to client and staff performance – VCA Analysis, Performance Review Analysis
- Other duties as requested
- Review all Bank Reconciliations
- Review Revenue Journal Entries
- Review Out-Of-State Revenue and prepare Tax Returns for Guam before the 20th of the month.
- Prepare Annual Property Tax Returns
- Review Check run report from AP Clerk; review Employee Expense Reimbursements before Payroll
- Prepare Accrual to Cash conversion worksheet
- Prepare multi-level financial statements and consolidated financial statements
- Review Payroll Journal Entries, 401K transfers and FSA 125 Transfer
- Review Commission reports
- Prepare annual Staff Billing and Budget hours by location
- Review Benefits Reconciliations from Senior Staff Accountant.
- Manage accounting personnel
- Manage Month End Schedule
- Keep track and oversee preparation of all surveys, censuses, tax filings, state filings, and insurance applications
- Review and update all Accounting SOPs semi-annually
- Oversee State, 401k, and other audits
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Professional demeanor and presentation
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional time management skills
- Executive level written and verbal communication skills
- Executive level presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work towards deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff
- Ability to independently work in a fast paced environment
- Seven years’ progressive experience in Accounting
- Experience supervising Payroll and Benefits
- Advanced level of skills in Microsoft Outlook
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- Professional services firm experience preferred
- Must have system implementation, integration experience
- Must know how to create KPIs
- Must know how to create/navigate dashboards
- Accrual to cash conversion required
- Experience with profit allocation, distribution calculations, and unit purchase calculations
- Experience in automation and processes improvement
- Experience with expense modules – Concur preferred
- Experience with MAS 90 or 200, Ultipro, Practice CS preferred
- Time and Billing experience a plus
Job Location and Travel Requirements
The position is located in the Firm’s Newport Beach office and requires occasional one-day travel to the Firm’s other offices for meetings, training or supervision.