IT Service Desk Lead Position
Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the IT Service Desk Team in support of business computer and data environment. Directly contributes and leads a local service desk team that works with internal customers on a face-to-face and remote basis, and ensuring their business data communication requirements are efficiently supported and established Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are met. Acts as lead role to deal with the challenges of meeting customer demands and service levels in a high paced environment with a customer base that includes a diverse range of needs, skills, and personalities. Displays a detailed technical knowledge of business computer and data environment, including desktop software and hardware, and advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills. Must be able to clearly communicate with technical and non-technical customers using correct grammar and spelling. Provides leadership to other IT Service Desk Technicians, and works with full autonomy to determine overall priorities of assigned tickets and tasks.
- Act as team lead to the assigned group of IT Service Desk Technicians ensuring outstanding performance of services and technical support to customers, including achieving service levels in line with established requirements, and customer expectations.
- Assign, monitor and maintain technician staffing levels to ensure coverage for normal business day and after-hours shifts (24 x 7 x 365 days).
- Monitor the Global IT Service Desk Queue to ensure customer support tickets are properly categorized, including SLA selection, incident/service description, and technician assignment.
- Provide direct support to a large population of Windows and Macintosh clients in a network and desktop maintenance and troubleshooting capacity, including associated peripheral equipment.
- Log all customer problem calls and walk-ups, document desk-side and remote support, and update status information in the client support ticket.
- Act as the primary contact to handle critical incidents and VIP services tickets, and promptly escalate user problems and complaints to Senior IT management.
- Ensure the assigned IT Service Desk Technicians are using appropriate knowledge management tools in order to provide a more effective and efficient support to customers.
- With Senior IT management support, ensure service desk team KPIs are monitored and evaluated, actions are assigned and taken accordingly, and assessment information related to IT Ticket analysis and established KPIs are reported.
- Coordinate and assist in the purchase, installation, configuration, maintenance, and repair of desktops, notebooks, mobile communications devices, printers, and other peripherals used in office areas.
- Ensure all IT assets in the IT Lab (or other assigned area) are properly tagged, recorded, and accurately reflected in the asset tracking system.
- Recognize and identify potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed.
- Monitor and handle performance of advanced desktop security tasks including investigation for virus alerts and associated causes, installing anti-virus applications, and installing application security updates.
- Maintain the local disk imaging process, including new image testing and verification, and Standard Operating Environment (SOE) images are kept updated with approved security and application updates.
- Assist with the annual review of service desk practices and processes for improvement recommendations.
- Monitor and document vendor performance against SLAs for assigned support contracts, and notify Senior IT management when SLAs specified in the support contract are not met.
- Fulfill responsibilities under ISO 9001 and 14001; understand and fully support IS0 system.
- Maintain good housekeeping and a safe working environment in workstation, IT Lab, and other assigned storage areas.
- Understand and follow company rules and regulations.
- Perform all other duties as assigned and required.
- Able to work non-standard hours for periods of time as needed and to participate in rotating on-call after hours and on weekends.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Able to travel to domestic and international sites one to three times during a year, normally for periods of one week or less.
- Able to lift, carry and bend as required to install common end user computing items including desktop PCs and monitors, desktop telephones, desktop printers, and power protection devices.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Requires 5+ years of related technical experience in a service desk or equivalent environment supporting computer related equipment and client services.
- Experience leading a technical team within a service desk environment.
- Knowledge at the expert level of current hardware/software, including personal computers and local area networks, TCP/IP, with particular proficiency in Windows 7/10, and Macintosh operating systems, and the Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly and correctly express complex technical concepts in English, both verbally and in writing.