Job Description – Senior Buyer
We are seeking a Senior Buyer to be the principal in obtaining materials for the company from suppliers at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source and urgency of need to meet company goals.
1. Excellent understanding of all activities related to Purchasing and Supplier Management. This includes supplier selection, development, negotiations, logistics, quality, delivery performance, cost reduction, and corrective action.
2. To collaborate closely with management and engineering to continuously improve the value and reduce the cost of direct material.
3. Help design and implement procurement processes that ensure on-time delivery and right-first-time quality at competitive total cost.
4. To identify, qualify, develop and manage new suppliers.
5. To process request for quotes (RFQ’s) and create Purchase orders.
6. To maintain necessary parameters within MRP system.
7. Maintain an up-to-date filing system on pricing and vendors to ensure immediate and accurate access to information.
8. To ensure an adequate suppliers base exists to meet the company’s anticipated procurements and add new suppliers as required, while maintaining a good business relationship with existing qualified suppliers.
9. Ability to negotiate large contracts with long term agreements and place blanket P.O..
10. Procure from oversea suppliers as needed.
1. Requires strong oral and written communication skills.
2. Requires strong sense of initiative, creativity and ability to prioritize.
3. Ability and openness to learning the requirements and processes of the organization.
4. Social skills required to work with other people including internal clients from other areas within the organization, and outside suppliers to determine needs and/or resolve issues or problems.
5. Good organizational skills required to compile, accumulate, and utilize information.
6. Experience working with integrated MRP/ERP systems.
7. Experience purchasing mechanical components, machined parts, castings, electrical hardware and motors.
8. Ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
9. Experience working with terms and conditions, evaluating suppliers’ bids and proposals, performing cost and price analysis, conducting fact finding and negotiating with suppliers.
10. Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Minimum 9 plus years of purchasing/supply chain management experience in manufacturing or engineering environments.
BS/BA degree preferred
CPM and/or CPIM certifications desired.
Aerospace experience highly preferred.