NOC Engineer II - Systems
The NOC (Network Operations Center) Engineer is responsible for proactively monitoring and troubleshooting events and incidents on the infrastructure. NOC Engineer II performs technical analysis of infrastructure events as they occur across the enterprise systems, and strive to proactively manage the environment. Performs research to troubleshoot and resolve the issue or, depending upon complexity, escalates the issue to higher-level systems and network engineers.
- Monitor a wide variety of infrastructure services that include, but are not limited to telecommunications circuits, LAN/MAN/WAN/WIFI networks, routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VoIP systems, servers, storage, backup, OS, and core applications.
- Provide support for escalated reactive issues, and partake in proactive maintenance and monitoring.
- Execute various scripts and automations, designed plan/process/procedures, deployment of various systems and applications, and support thereof
- Create operational swim-lane for internal NOC and external purpose
- Provide Tier II support for all infrastructure IT issues, then escalate to Tier III engineers as necessary.
- Collect and review performance reports for various systems, and report trends in hardware and application performance to assist senior technical personnel to predict future issues or outages.
- Research and document various mitigation strategies, and maintain current and thorough knowledge of technologies and their significance to customer operations.
- Document all actions in accordance with standard company policies and procedures.
- Notify customer and third-party service providers of issues, outages and remediation status.
- Work with internal and external technical and service teams to create and/or update knowledge base articles.
- Keep supervisor informed about all computer and/or system anomalies.
- Use and maintain knowledge base and other knowledge tools such as standard operation procedures.
- Act as “problem owner,” escalating to other support groups and following the status of the incident until it has been confirmed to be resolved.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems discipline or a comparable level of experience preferred.
- 2-5 years of experience in a similar position strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with monitoring for mission critical systems and 24/7 environments.
- Advanced knowledge of monitoring technologies/methods relating to NOC Infrastructure (SolarWinds/Orion and ABSMessaging preferred)
- Advanced level understanding in two or more of the following fields: Network Engineering (LAN/MAN/WAN/WIFI networking, routers, switches, VoIP/FoIP), Network Security (firewalls, load balancers), Systems Engineer (converged/hyperconverged infrastructure systems, storage, Win/Linux, virtualization), and restricted Automation/Scripting (powershell, powercli, nois, ios, sql)
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and interpersonal attributes.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to operate in a fast paced, mission critical environment
- ITIL V3 Awareness training preferred.
- Must communicate effectively with management, peers, and customers, via email, phone and face-to-face situations (written and verbal).
- Must be able to obtain/maintain any necessary certifications and/or licenses.