NOC Engineer I - Systems
The NOC (Network Operations Center) Engineer is responsible for proactively monitoring and troubleshooting events and incidents on the infrastructure. NOC Engineer I performs technical analysis of infrastructure events as they occur across the enterprise systems. Performs research to troubleshoot and resolve the issue or, depending upon complexity, escalates the issue to higher-level systems administrators and network engineers.
- Monitor a wide variety of infrastructure services that include, but are not limited to telecommunications circuits, LAN/MAN/WAN/Wifi networks, including, routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VoIP systems, servers, storage, backup, operating systems and core applications.
- Analyze alarm conditions presented by various internal management
- systems and begin triage efforts to assist in troubleshooting the affected application(s) and/or infrastructure(s).
- Perform system administration tasks such as network/system changes, troubleshooting, patching operating systems and applications, and executing various scripts.
- Provide Tier II support for all infrastructure IT issues, then escalate to Tier III engineers as necessary.
- Collect and review performance reports for various systems, and report trends in hardware and application performance to assist senior technical personnel to predict future issues or outages.
- Research and document various mitigation strategies, and maintain current and thorough knowledge of technologies and their significance to customer operations.
- Maintain critical documentation assets, such as customer contact lists, escalation procedures, scheduled job inventories, and operational “run-books.”
- Document all actions in accordance with standard company policies and procedures.
- Notify customer and third-party service providers of issues, outages and remediation status.
- Work with internal and external technical and service teams to create and/or update knowledge base articles.
- Keep supervisor informed about all computer and/or system anomalies.
- Use and maintain knowledge base and other knowledge tools such as standard operation procedures.
- Perform all duties in strict accordance with Company, departmental, and regulatory guidelines and levels at all times while meeting or exceeding established service levels and expectations.
- Act as “problem owner,” escalating to other support groups and following the status of the incident until it has been confirmed to be resolved.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems discipline or a comparable level of experience preferred.
- One (1) year of experience in a similar position strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with monitoring for mission critical systems and 24/7 environments.
- Knowledge of monitoring technologies/methods relating to NOC Infrastructure (SolarWinds/Orion and ABSMessaging preferred)
- Solid understanding of LAN/MAN/WAN/WiFi networking, including routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VoIP systems, servers, storage, backup, operating systems and core applications.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and interpersonal attributes.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to operate in a fast paced, mission critical environment
- ITIL V3 Awareness training preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities independently and meet deadlines.
- Must communicate effectively with management, peers, and customers, via email, phone and face-to-face situations (written and verbal).
- Must be able to obtain/maintain any necessary certifications and/or licenses.