Responsible for all activities related to ongoing Supplier management and the procurement of materials, supplies and services, both direct and indirect. Responsibilities include the staffing, supervision, training, motivation and annual performance review of all subordinates. Individual tasks include subcontract management, negotiating subcontracts and agreements, creating and reporting against small business plans, developing procurement strategies that control and optimize costs, and approving purchase orders. Must maintain compliance with the Comprehensive Purchasing System Review (CPSR) government approved defense article procurement systems. Defense industry experience and knowledge of applicable FAR/DFAR clauses is required. Works closely with the Materials/Planning departments and suppliers to optimize inventory levels and minimize lead times. Relevant purchased technologies include electronic components/circuit boards, fabricated metal and composite parts, heat exchangers, controllers, gears, motors, coating services, and others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises all Buyers and Assistants/Clerks within the Purchasing Department. Supervises exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Administers all purchasing functions and coordinates these activities within the functional groups of the company as well as suppliers and subcontractors.
- Supervises, trains, motivates and does performance reviews of assigned personnel in achieving department goals and objectives. Continuously monitors staff size, skills, performance and job assignments in relation to business demands and takes direct and timely action to adjust accordingly.
- Screens and develops a qualified supplier list for all purchasing requirements and competitive source selections.
- Maintains a regular supplier scorecard reflecting suppliers' quality, cost, and delivery performance, and takes action as required based on supplier performance.
- Coordinates and tracks all material and service requirements in support of product deliveries and facility requirements.
- Implements long-term strategies to keep material costs as low as possible, including long-term agreements and teaming agreements, when beneficial.
- Provides timely feedback to Production Control/Planning on all schedule changes.
- Provides Finance with accurate forecasts as to monthly material commitments and Programs with status of purchased part costing and quality performance to targets.
- Oversees supplier screening and qualification activities.
- Supports the Small Business Goals as established annually by the U.S. Department for Small Business Administration.
- Administers Small Business Subcontracting plans and provide government reporting as required.
- Develops and monitors a department budget.
- Develops policies and procedures as required to support administrative, government and contractual requirements.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by management.
- Extended hours and travel are required to meet job requirements. Proof of valid Drivers' License required.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS (Skills, Knowledge and Abilities required)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year College or university or equivalent; and 5 to 7 years related experience and/or training. APICS or ISM coursework desired.
In addition, business experience in purchasing, preferably in defense environment desired. Must be knowledgeable in government regulations covering procurement (FAR) and flow down requirements. Prior supervisory and management experience required.
The Purchasing department is a fast paced environment and requires a high level of organizational skills, efficient use of time, the ability to perform under pressure, to manage multiple projects, and to continually meet deadlines. Experience in aerospace/defense manufacturing environment desired. Should be familiar with UCC/FAR and DFAR requirements. Requires knowledge of purchasing processes, policies and procedures, and an understanding of manufacturing processes. Direct experience in procurement of repair services, facility maintenance, operations, machined parts, MIL-SPEC hardware, calibration and metal finishes required. Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications required.