Title: Packaging Engineer
Reports To: Program Manager, Packaging Development
The Packaging Engineer role will work cross-functionally, with multiple departments, on new packaging development, sustaining projects, and packaging product integration projects. All of these projects will be geared (mostly) toward consumer (CPG) markets. Daily tasks related to all projects will involve: assisting in concept development; prototyping; transit testing; creating technical drawings in various formats; and collaboration with project teams to properly execute bringing products to market.
- Create new packaging die lines in various formats (EPS, DRW, DXF, ARD) using 3D software for concept and production parts.
- Develop 3D files in correlation with graphic design to be used with POG renderings within the aftermarket channel.
- Create ECRs, ECNs, CAD, 3D drawings and Marketing Requests for structural packaging needs.
- Review and approve ECRs, ECNs, and Marketing Requests submitted within the PLM system.
- Review and approve pre-press proofs for all structural packaging requirements.
- Assist cross-functional departments in the PPAP process for packaging parts as well as creation and approval of SKU authorizations (both retail and OEM) related to packaging.
- Initiate ship testing and analyzes results, adjusting specifications accordingly per requirements.
- Assist in the design and development of packaging, process flow and materials, completing all necessary activities involved with bringing new packaging concepts to market (including submission of EO’s/drawings for new parts coordination of engineering pilot runs and labor studies etc.).
- Assist in the development of comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging exceeds customer specifications.
- Assist in developing technically correct yet consumer friendly instruction sheets.
- Work with Marketing to develop promotions such as POP, displays and Merchandising systems.
- Coordinate and execute the creation of packaging prototyping via resources available.
- Support qualification and transition of new packaging from concept to mass production.
- Work closely with cross functional teams on new packaging development and optimization of current packaging.
- Provide sales support to sales staff as needed regarding packaging programs.
- Communicates with suppliers when necessary to troubleshoot problems.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes as well as provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions to such concerns.
- Participate in product development teams to help deliver new products to market.
- Work with the manufacturing teams to insure that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability.
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a Packaging Engineering or design related discipline from an accredited university.
- Experience in 3D design software, (preferably software related to thermoformed plastics design).
- Knowledgeable in the design of chipboard, corrugated and thermoformed plastic packaging.
- Experience in the CPG industry preferred.
- Strong written skills creating specifications for new package designs.
- Strong communication skills to interact with various internal and external groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a sense of urgency, identifying and overcoming obstacles that a project may encounter.
- Experience in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Capable of standing, bending, walking, stooping, climbing, pushing, pulling, and reaching on a frequent basis.
- Capable of lifting 20 pounds on an occasional basis.